Monday, April 02, 2007

It's a Lash-Off!

About a week ago, while perusing my local CVS, I noticed a fire sale on mascaras. I instantly snagged a tube of the Cover Girl Volume Exact as I thoroughly enjoyed the tube of the Lash Exact that I reviewed last year, and the endless takes of the Top Model girls flubbing their lines.



But the more time I spent in the cosmetic aisle, the more I wanted a competitor. The new plastic porcupine applicators are all the rage, and I wanted to see if they were all the same. After checking out the Maybelline version (and seeing that it wasn't on sale) I picked up L'Oreal's Telescopic. Perhaps I was just intrigued by Penelope Cruz's accent.




And the Cosmetics Deathmatch was born.



First up, the Volume Exact. And let's just say I was unimpressed. Clumps, clumps, some smearing on my eyelid, and barely noticeable lashes. That sums up the experience. I threw it back in the makeup bag.



Next, the Telescopic. Better darkening, but again with the clumping! I ended up having like three big lashes. I looked like a knock-off anime character. But, it seemed better than the Volume Exact, so I kept using it.



A day or so later, my annoyance with the Telescopic reached a fever pitch. Much like my annoyance with Penelope Cruz's dismal acting in American movies. The mascara is so wet. Although I heard once that wetness is the essence of beauty. And clump-inducing. And difficult to wash off.



I reached again for the Volume Exact. This time, I was careful when applying so as not to smear and ended up with decent lashes. Not that voluminous, but I could actually tell that I had more than four lashes between my two eyes. As I continued to use the Volume Exact, I found that my lashes looked natural and pretty, but lacked something at night.



With that in mind, I tried out the Telescopic again. For the last time. I just don't like it. This time, my lashes were actually spiky, instead of soft and flexible.



And we have a winner! Kind-of.




I can't really recommend either, so I would advise everyone to keep moving, and pick a more traditional time-tested variety, like L'Oreal's Voluminous or Cover Girl's Lash Exact (for some reason better than the Volume Exact. Go figure.)


I'm still searching for a new mascara to love, so if you know of a good candidate, let me know! Also, has anyone tried the Maybelline version?

photos courtesy of walgreens.com and covergirl.com

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am currently using the Maybelline Define-A-Lash lengthening mascara. It's not dramatic enough for night, but it's a great day mascara. And the tube is a great shade of kelly green.

Anonymous said...

I have been loving the MaxFactor Volue Couture. It is the best mascara for giving volume + sparate, defined lashes. CVS doesn't carry Max Factor anymore, but you can get it at Kmart or Walmart.

Corey B said...

I bounce between a few mascaras depending on what I'm going for. My favorite everyday mascara is Daring Definition by Avon. It's a great covering, non clumping mascara that packs a bit of punch but isn't overkill for every day use. I like L'oreal Double Extend for those days that I wanna look like I have fakers on. It's a pain to play with, and you have to be careful of clumpitis but I LOVE this mascara. I also keep a comb nearby to comb out the clumps that may come on.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I use Mabelline's Full and Soft in waterproof for day and night. I put it on in the morning and if I'm going out at night my lashes are soft and pliable enough to put a couple of extra coats on to make my lashes really stand out. It's never clumpy and my lashes feel natural not weighed down with mascara. The best thing is it never flakes off!

Anonymous said...

can you please review max factor lash perfection? :)

Unknown said...

Tarte makes great mascara...it comes in a beautiful purple snakeskin packaging...almost too pretty to use. almost

Anonymous said...

I totally love Double Extend by L'Oreal -- my lashes look long and silky, very little clumping. If you use the waterproof one, it even stays on through workouts (it can be a little tough to take off though).

Anonymous said...

I can tell you to stay away from Dr.Hauschka. I had read how wonderful this natural mascara is. Sure, it was a natural look and easy to remove, but way tooooo wet and applying it meant having to clean some off of my eyelids every time. Plus, god forbid my eye water at all, even after sneezing I would get wet black marks near my eyes. Totally annoying!

I have had good luck with Sisley ultra facil, urban decay and anything by Dior. I have heard YSL makes some nice ones, but I can't personally recommend.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree - CG Volume Exact doesn't even compare with Lash Exact! I've found that for going out at night Clinique's High Definition mascara is fantastic. I'm not a huge Clinique fan, but this mascara gives me an amped up Lash Exact effect - darker, longer, and more volume.

Beth said...

Voluminous, voluminous, voluminous. I don't even bother shopping around anymore...
although I would like to try Lash Architect

Candi said...

My two favorite mascaras are:
1) Clinique High Definition-
I love the brush! and Completely agree with the other comments on it above
2) Too Faced Lash Injection-
It comes off so easy! It creates little tubes around your eyelashes, so when you wash it off instead of having black smear, you get little black pieces that just come right off and wipe away easily. Comes right off with your face soap and water even and I've noticed that fewer of my eyelashes are falling out due to removing my makeup...

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying the new LashFusion, goes on well, no clumping, well defined, and moderately to well thickened. I'd definietly by it again, and that would be the first time I've ever done that ( I am always looking to see if there is something better)
I also like Shu Umera, but I don't remember which version it was.

Anonymous said...

i assume you already know all about it since it's such a massive hit, but Diorshow is fantastic! I get compliments on my eyelashes all the time when i use it!

Anonymous said...

Lancome has wonderful mascara - my favorite is Definicil - it is effortless to make my lashes look wonderful every day - I never have a bad lash day anymore!

AK said...

Bourjois Yes to Volume! No to Clumps! is great.

caphillbarbie said...

Wow, this certainly inspired lots of comments and some great suggestions. I am very intrigued by the Max Factor, but it only seems to be available at Bed Bath and Beyond near me, so I will have to check it out next time I need hangers. I have also heard great things about DiorShow and Lancome products. I'll try to get to all of these in hopes of finding something fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

I find it hard to take other people's mascara recommendations because everyone's lashes are different and we all have different goals for our mascaras. I like Maybelline's Lash Discovery because I like a natural glossy look. A makeup artist put some Trish McEvoy High Volume on me and it's so space-age...comes off like little tubes when you remove it. Weird but cool. Also very glossy and not gloppy...but way more $ than the Maybelline.

Anonymous said...

I love trying new products, especially mascara. My mainstay has been Maybelline Great Lash for years and recently I tried the Lash Stylist..and was pleasantly surprised. It has a funky comb-like brush but it gives major lash. I like my lashes to be glam all the time' kinda big and fakey looking and this does it. The formula is kind of wet but it doesn't clump but it does define the lashes to give you thick, darkened lashes. It can get the lashes hard sometimes but it does not flake or smudge. Once you put it on, it's ON!
hth,

Mia

Anonymous said...

I was a Maybelline Great Lash devotee until I tried Kiss Me Ultra Volume. A little pricey but worth every penny.

The Apprentice said...

One mascara I really liked for not clumping was the NYC New York Color Lengthening Mascara. All their other mascaras have been reviewed as cruddy but this one gets good reviews and I liked it a lot. It's only like three bucks. For me it was more of a naturalish look but from what I've read it can be layered for almost a false eyelash look. I just didn't bother. Good luck!