Thursday, May 04, 2006

Big Love for Lashes


I will admit it. I am a serial monogamist when it comes to mascara. Except when I cheat on my steady for something new and enticing. Sometimes it works out, but most of the time it doesn't and I have to pick up the pieces and move on.

I can't say exactly how my mascara-hopping started, but it is certainly helped by the fact that it is absolutely necessary for me (I have very blond lashes and I look like a rabbit if I forget to put on mascara), new formulas are constantly being introduced, and medical professionals (the beauty industry, who am I kidding?) tell you to throw it out every three months.

I was once in love with Maybelline Lash by Lash. I fell hard. The mascara had a little wipey-thing that cleaned the excess off of the brush, negating the need for tissues. But alas, my eyes wandered (literally) and I found another that promised more, yet did not deliver. When I went back for the Lash by Lash, it was gone for good. And Lash Discovery (which the Maybelline people told me was it's doppleganger) is NOT the same.

So began my every-three-month quest for The One.

Most recently, I've tried the Blinc Kiss Me mascara, which was excellent for easy removal, since it comes off in little tubes (and is also exactly the same as Trish McEvoy Lash Curling Mascara), but not so good for the ba-bam! effect you want for a night on the town. And the little tubes at the bottom of the sink sometimes freaked out my boyfriend who thought they were bugs.

Then I tried Maybelline Unstoppable. Also good, but missing something...

Most recently I have liked Cover Girl Lash Exact. You know, the one that Queen Latifah wears in the ads and has the funny looking plastic porcupine purple brush (I told you there was more alliteration coming!). I like that one because it washes off easily and stays on during most workouts, but also misses the ba-bam! for night. Also sometimes I poke myself with the little brush and that hurts.

But then I went to Ulta and they had Rimmel London Mascaras at a 2-for-1 special. It was like candy for a diabetic. I bought the Volume Flash Waterproof and the Volum' Eyes Lash Comb. I layered them today after reading that it is a "beauty secret" in InStyle.

Ummm, it's a little clumpy. Like Tammy Faye Lite. I'll try again separately, because they do hold the curl in the lash very well and they give a little more oomph that might be nice at nighttime.

Maybe all three mascaras can live together in my makeup bag. Maybe I can turn into a serial polygamist with my mascaras. Then again, maybe I'm ready to settle down with just one...

Riiiiight...

2 comments:

GidgetJem said...

I don't know if you'll see this...seeing as how this post is a few months old...but I love BadGal Lash mascara from Benefit. I also have blonde eyelashes and am a bit of a mascara junkie!!!

Good luck!
Jem

Anonymous said...

I used to love Blinc for a natural look. It's too expensive.
I have long, darker lashes, but they are sparse.
I now love L'Oreal Voluminous.
With a light hand it is natural. A couple coats (wiggle the wand at the base of the lashes)provide a great evening look without the whole Tammy Faye thing.