Monday, January 29, 2007

Tiny Dancer

When I was younger, I took ballet lessons and loved it. From the moment my mom stitched the elastic to my first pair of tiny Capezios, I was hooked. I went faithfully to The Nutcracker every Christmas season and I pranced around on my tippy toes as often as possible.

However, there came a point at which my parents sat me down and we had a frank discussion about how I simply wasn't good enough at ballet to get into Julliard or make a career out of it and I stopped taking dance lessons.

I started first grade with a heavy heart.

Seriously, I can't even touch my toes, there was no way in hell I was going to actually be a good dancer.

And it's all too bad, because I am obsessed with the fashions of ballet. I love the look of knotted buns in my hair, those filmy little skirts, footless tights, the rocking combination of baby pink and black, the fact that leg warmers can be worn without irony...everything.

And I have to say that I think Vera Wang did the trend right this spring...


Love the volume tempered with airyness to create a look without adding bulk.

Here, I love the sheerness of the layers and the cut of the tank, over a grownup version of footless tights.

How cool does the haphazard looking, yet strategically placed sweater look over a lightweight dress?

The more I see, the more I can't wait until spring gets here. I'm planning on picking up some lightweight tops and trying to stalk the dancers from Washington School of Ballet on my bus to ask them where they picked up their duds.

Maybe I'll even enroll in an adult class...do you think my mom would be willing to break out the sewing kit one more time?

photos of Vera Wang Spring 2007 Runway show courtesy of elle.com


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been living in ballet flats this past year, and I refuse to give them up. I especially love my Gabriella Rocha's with the square toe. You can't get more ballet-chic than that.

Anonymous said...

and for a cheap pair of ballet flats check out NineWest they've got them for only $20! and in brown, black, white, and red patent!
http://www.ninewest.com/n/browse/product.s?productId=13338&source=category&index=4&prodIndex=12&listSize=15&categoryId=45008

Heather Jane said...

I love this stuff too... I bought some clothing in Venice that was very ballerina inspired, because dance was not my calling and I had no other way to get my hands on it!

Coach Outlet Online said...

Coach Outlet Online

Coach Factory Outlet Online said...

Coach Factory Outlet Online Leading American designer and maker of luxury lifestyle handbags and accessories.Large market in Europe and Canada,UK,USA etc.Welcome to Order!

Coach Factory Outlet said...

coach factory outlet feature a predominantly black upper constructed from a soft nubuck as well as patent leather which can be noticed on the Air Max 90 toe box.