Thursday, August 06, 2009

Trust Me, I'm a...

I have a good friend who is going on her third year as an OB/GYN resident.  In case you haven't been watching "16 and Pregnant" or "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" or any other baby shows, you know that babies aren't usually born when it is convenient for the doctor.  This means lots of late nights and little sleep for the residents who deliver them.

On a rare day off for her, we sat at her pool and she revealed that she was simply desperate for something to cover the dark circles that residency hath wrought.

Now, I can't give advice on how to deliver a breech baby or how to improve bedside manner, but under-eye circles?  Come into my office and sit down!

First, I told her, you need a good concealer.  Now, I have always heard nothing but praise for the Cle de Peau product, but at $65 a tube, a little out of a GME-funded budget and there are lots of options that won't require moonlighting.  


My current favorite is MAC Select Moisturecover and I like that MAC has several coverage options and lots of colors.  Another good brand with options is Clinique, and I went through a Quick Corrector phase that lasted through law school.

The next option is a brightener, to lighten up the area under the eye and distract from the darkness.  Now, every makeup artist worth her brushes will tell you that the best product for this is the YSL Touche Eclat.  I love that it comes with a brush attached for easy application (perhaps in a call room?).  


Another, less expensive option, is Bobbi Brown's Corrector.  Functioning on the same principles of color correcting, it neutralizes the dark circles and works with concealer to make it look like you've gotten more than an hour of sleep.  (P.S. check out Bobbi's newly resigned website and Twitter feed!)

And my last tip and for faking a well rested look?  Since I'm guessing a change of profession isn't an option...a bright cheery blush and a clean application of black mascara.

But don't call me in the morning, I need my beauty sleep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bobbi Brown's corrector and concealor combo are my Holy Grail products, if you will. When I first tried them, I swear I heard angels sing. There's no other products like them, in my opinion, as they are drying or cakey, and the setting powder that comes with the concealer keeps it all in place, all day long. Love!

P.S. I'm also loving your more regular posting! You are such a good read. :)

Anonymous said...

Oops..I meant to say that Bobbi's products were NOT drying or cakey. Duh. :)

www.chickdowntown.com rob said...

Good call on the concealor!

Miss Muddy Paws said...

I adore Laura Mercier concealer for my horrible under eye circles! I follow with their brightening pen and voila! I look well rested. A great shimmer bronzer like Bobbi Brown's shimmer brick in a few places can also really brighten you up!

Also, drinking tons of H20 and using a daily moisturizer really helps the dark circles.

I'm going to try some of the concealers you've mentioned!