Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Home Again, Home Again

One of my favorite things about going home to my parents' place for the weekend (other than the free meals, beds that actually get made, Britas that are filled and general order to all that surrounds me) is checking out the new beauty products my mother and sister are using.

It's like a weekend pass to try out all the things I've wanted, but didn't want to buy, or things that I would never think to buy.

Some of the highlights from this past weekend include the John Frieda Frizz Ease Curl Around Shampoo and Conditioner and Nivea Gentle Cleansing Cream for Dry Skin.

Since I'm still in my boycott of my hairdryer (see the heat index of 110 degrees today!!) I've been looking for ways to bring out the natural wave in my hair but minimize the halo of frizziness that usually goes along with letting my hair air dry. While rummaging through the myriad of hair products in the shower, I stumbled upon the John Frieda Shampoo and Conditioner set. These undoubtably belong to my sister with her black sheep of the family Keri Russell-curly hair.

I'm not really sure that they helped bring out any curls or waves in my hair, but they did make it noticeably softer and smoother feeling. Actually the sensation has continued even after using my regular shampoo for two days now.

Frizz has been kept to somewhat of a minimum (under the present weather conditions, it would take the genius of all the scientists at NOAA and NIH combined to figure out how to complete keep my hair frizz-free). I will consider purchasing them when I get to the last dregs of my current selections.

Next, I picked up the Nivea Cleansing Creme and began to use it. First, I was surprised, because it actually has a scrub component to it, not just a creamy cleanser as previously believed. I was pleasantly surprised that the grains in the scrub are far finer than those in my current home scrub. There was also little to no dry-tight-feeling after the shower that I sometimes get after scrubbing off a layer of skin.

Another purchase for the list once Congress blows this Popsicle stand we call D.C.

Anyone have any favorite family heirloom products? Anyone else freezing while people sweat to death (literally! check on your neighbors!) outside? Anyone else need a vacation?

4 comments:

Principal Investigator said...

This post made me laugh. When I go home, it's like going to Sephora, what with my sister's disposable income and product addiction (I am merely pointing out the obvious as this pot will not be calling any kettles black). I think I've tried every cleanser in the Bliss line, courtesy of Sister and then tried every new high end lipgloss, courtesy of Mother. It's awesome. The latest thing is the new Chanel lipstick case with the spring action going on. Liked the color, looooooooooved the technology.

Corrie said...

Aveda Hang Straight is a great hair product to use especially in the humidity. Love it! As far as skincare goes, Clarins skincare is good it's all plant based so there aren't alot of chemicals but there is a lot of good research and technology in the products themselves. Good luck fighting the frizz, I totally feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » »

Anonymous said...

Very nice site!