Thursday, February 08, 2007

Buried Treasure


If you are like me, you probably have a box on your dresser containing about thirty-five makeup products that you haven't used in the past three months. I totally get seduced by the new and exciting and often leave the older products to rot in my little bamboo box. But every once in a while, when I go digging in there, I come up with some stuff that quickly becomes my new favorites.


A small caveat here. I really try to stick to products that don't expire often, like blushes and eyeshadows. I had a bad experience with a lipgloss that spent a DC summer on the floormat of my car. Let's just say high dose corticosteroids were involved.


Last weekend, I went to a party sans boyfriend, which allowed me to pull out the clothes he hates, like my eyelet trapeze top over pants, which he claims makes me look pregnant. He also said it therefore freaks people out to see me drinking in this top. So, I started digging and came up with my old Bobbi Brown Shimmer Wash Eye Shadow in Sterling, a sparkly slate grey.



like this, but grey.

I loved the effect. It goes on very sheerly, so I am less concerned that I will end up looking like that astronaut's mug shot, but with layering it makes for an excellent nighttime eye.

But something was missing....So it was into the breech once more!

I unearthed a Bourjois shadow I snapped up in Paris a few years ago which is a sheer green color with just a touch of blue undertone and gold shimmer.








sort of a cross between these two.

I dusted a little green over the grey and voila! A perfect new evening look. Edgy. Sexy. And totally new and exciting.



So, in this time of desperate cold, instead of heading out to stores to pick up something new, I encourage everyone to spend some time going through your own box o' the makeup past and experiment!


photos courtesy of neimanmarcus.com and sephora.com.

No comments: